I have spent several months researching worm harvesters, and looking at designs. I began construction on mine yesterday. Thanks to Bruce at wormcompostingblog.com for sharing his plans on his drill powered model.
The most expensive materials I have purchased are two plastic tubs at $12.51 each, and rolls of 1/4″ and 1/2″ galvanized hardware cloth at $17.97 and $16.97 respectively.
I have some empty syrup tubs on hand from feeding cows that I used some tin snips to cut the bottom out of that will serve as the end pieces of the tumbler. I will wrap the hardware cloth around these.
I had a 3/4″ piece of galvanized pipe that will be my center axle. The struts are 2X4 pieces cut to fit the tubs, that will stabilize the turning of the axle. I pre-drilled and attached with a lag bolt. The other pieces of galvanized pipe and 90 degree elbows I had to purchase to make the crank.
Stay tuned to see how I built the housing and rest of the Texas Worm Harvester.