Flow Through Worm Bin part 1

22 Mar

I have tried several models of flow through systems and continue to tinker to get the results I’m looking for.  The idea is for the finished castings to fall through the grate at the bottom of the bin and the worms to work towards the top of the bin.

Materials: square metal tubing, plywood, braided cable, 1.5″ self tapping metal screws, small I beam we found for the base bar to mount winches, and 2 winches (one we salvaged and another from Tractor Supply @$20) for pulling each direction.

We welded a bar to slide along the bottom of the bin to agitate the castings through the grate.  I have tried other versions without the cutting bar, and castings tend to get clumpy and stuck.  Stay tuned for the big reveal when we add worms and a few finishing touches.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Flow Through Worm Bin part 1”

  1. Ian January 27, 2014 at 9:05 am #

    For the base of my bin I put loose flat bars in “upright” knife edge up bettween 1″ square tube spacers, you can then use a rake or pitch fork to scrape out the material from the bottom. None of my scraper design’s worked all got stuck. Simple is better.
    Ian C

    • Texas Red Worms January 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

      Great idea. That sounds like an excellent design.
      Thanks for sharing.

    • clippincott March 12, 2015 at 2:01 am #

      Hey Ian–would you be willing to post/email me a picture of your arrangement? I’m considering a couple of different options for building my own, medium scale flow through system. Thank!

      • Texas Red Worms May 2, 2015 at 1:51 am #

        The only worm I would recommend for any in ground application is the Jumper.

      • Ian May 4, 2015 at 5:12 am #

        Hi ~ Sure will take a look on my work PC if the “internal working” pics are still there……..Send me your email to : home@zim.co.zw rgds Ian

      • Ian May 4, 2015 at 7:26 am #

        Just posted two bin pics to my face book page:-
        Vermiculture ~ Southern Africa

    • Ian October 19, 2015 at 6:35 am #

      See more pics & text detail on : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509031789381996/

  2. Ian May 4, 2015 at 7:30 am #

    In hindsight I would make the sides flat & the top a couple of inches narrower to aid gravity.
    I was using roofing sheets I had to hand. The “LOOSE” flat bars at the base, work very well, have no intention at this stage in changing the base concept. . . . Ian

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: